Thursday, November 8, 2007

Dot Com What? - Ten Years Behind

When I want to learn about a new technology, I ask my little sister... not my teacher.

General Education classes are a repeat of high school classes.

Every job I apply for requires at least a bachelor's degree.

It takes me six years to graduate because classes are either too full or canceled.

When "real-world" experts come into my classes to speak, they admit they don't know what the future of my field will be.

When I want to know about current trends, I turn to Web sites run by professionals my age who understand what's going on... not my teachers.

And you wonder why I'm facebooking through my classes?

School today is especially irrelevant. I've heard it said that universities are typically ten years behind the times. (Let's make an exception for the Silicon Valley schools, which clearly have been internet innovators, not laggards.)

That puts schools even with innovations in 1997. Back then, the dot com bubble had just begun to rise. The Nintendo 64 was released, and for the first time a computer beat a World Champion chess player. And the first version of the Java programming language was a year old.

Wait, really? Java is 10 years old? Computers haven't always been more capable calculators than humans? Computer graphics look way better now than in the days of the Nintendo 64... We have really come a long way in a short period of time!

The pace of technological innovation is astounding. We've all heard the mantra "six months to obsoletion." Who wouldn't be scared by that? There's a lot to learn for anyone. I remember when I could skate by on an English assignment simply by making a Web page that impressed the teacher, who had no idea how to do such things. That was back in the day, you know... before xml replaced html.

Innovations are made to make things better, faster, easier, and prettier. It's exciting and daunting to learn about.

And the experts have to struggle to stay on top of it. They always have to learn new things to simply function. Teachers don't have to learn new things to function... they can teach the same old same old... but if they want to remain experts, they have to learn new things.

In all my journalism classes, I have never once been taught the basics of how to get a good photograph, nor how to capture and edit audio, nor how to build a dynamic Web site or to write for a dynamic Web site. If I do any of that, it's because my friends help me. It's because they know how to do it and because they understand why it's important.

I might find teachers who agree that I should be capable of all those things, but I won't find many teachers who are actually rebuilding their course work to reflect that.

People my age are interested in the new lifestyle the internet affords us, because we're living that lifestyle. And hungry to learn about it. Frankly the best way to do that for me is to talk (or facebook) to my friends, and my little sister's friends - people who adapt quickly to new technology, who aren't afraid of it, and who can teach me what they've learned by trial and error.

It's preferable to learn in a school setting, where concepts can be explained formally, and (ideally) textbooks can feed the fundamentals of new concepts for the hungry brain to devour. Academia has perfected learning over the last two thousand years. But lately those learning institutions have failed to be relevant in an environment where learning and adapting is everything.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Okay...I really have to amend my position.

I (accidentally) went to a summit for college journalism teachers this week, and they all discussed how to change their curriculum so that it is more relevant.

I was really very impressed with Chico and Cal Poly. They have made excellent changes to their program.

Those teachers at the summit were very dedicated, passionate and (I hope) excited. Education has a long way to go, but I'm optimistic.

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

The writer here makes very good points about what's going on at most universities and hits the real point that seems to be lost.

Universities have gotten themselves into some kind of competitive thinking mode, essentially taking the universities down the road of trying to keep up on everything and anything.

Everything and anything but stopping to think about everything and anything.

In our rush to be able to teach the latest operating systems or technologies, we miss out that the role of the university might be different.

The writer strikes out hard and makes good points about the relevancy issue - and is right. It's probably the universities that need to rethink what it is they are trying to do, provide - and teach.

Good column.